The YourVets surgical referral service is run from our 24-hour hospital in Smethwick by Kathryn Wale BSc BVetMed CertAVP MRCVS.
Fixed price surgery packages
YourVets ethos is to make high-quality care affordable, regardless of budget. The service has been designed to give certainty of costs to clients, so we offer fixed price packages for all orthopaedics and selected soft-tissue surgery.
Each fixed price package includes:
- Pre-anaesthetic haematology/biochemistry.
- Perioperative fluid therapy.
- Radiography if needed.
- Multi-modal analgesia.
- Post-operative hospitalisation if needed.
- Medication to go home with.
- All post-operative checks (including follow-up blood tests or radiographs under sedation/GA if needed).
- Assessment and recovery plan by NAVP-registered physiotherapist for orthopaedic surgeries.
Referral services offered
- Fracture management.
- Management of traumatic joint disease (luxation/subluxation).
- Cruciate disease – TTA/TPLO.
- Patella luxation.
Soft tissue surgery
- Brachycephalic disease – BOAS airway surgery plus skin fold/screw tail resection.
- Ear disease – TECA/bulla osteotomy and lateral wall resection.
- Diaphragmatic/perineal herniorrhaphy.
- Anal sacculectomy.
- Complex oncological resection and reconstructive surgery.
- Wound management, including advanced reconstruction (axial pattern flaps/free skin grafts).
How to refer
Please fill out our online referral form. If you have any questions please call Smethwick on 0121 516 1999.
Upon receiving the completed form the YourVets team will then contact your client to arrange appointments as below:
- A 30 minute pre-operation appointment with Kathryn at Smethwick
- At this appointment Kathryn will meet with the client, discuss procedures/risks, assess the patient and take a pre-anaesthetic blood profile. The charge for this appointment is £50, which is then taken off the fixed surgery price if the client chooses to go ahead.
- If clients cannot attend such appointments we will be happy to work with them to arrange an alternative
- A morning appointment to admit the patient on the day of surgery. The discharge will normally be arranged once the patient is out of theatre and post-operative assessment has been made.
Make sure all case notes, radiographs and lab results Kathryn may need to see are emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
About the team
Kathryn graduated from the Royal Veterinary College in 2012, and spent a number of years in first opinion practice before completing a small animal surgery certificate in 2017 while working as a hospital vet in a 24-hour practice. The opportunity to train in this environment gave Kathryn an appreciation of the challenges and limitations that come with busy days (and nights!) and lead to the idea of the YourVets Surgery Service, designed to make referrals easy, friendly and stress-free, both for the referring vet and clients. Referrals are accepted for soft-tissue and orthopaedic advanced surgical procedures, and benefit from our excellent facilities including two sterile operating theatres (one dedicated orthopaedics suite), climate-controlled cat, dog and isolation wards, and 24-hour care with a dedicated night team. Contact by veterinary surgeons for case discussions and requests to review radiographs are welcome, even if the client does not wish to proceed to referral. Vets with an interest in progressing their surgical skills are welcome to accompany their cases or arrange to see practice with Kathryn.
Support for the YourVets Surgery Service is provided by the YourVets Smethwick hospital team.